Saturday, January 24, 2009

Missing it


When my first daughter was born she had colic for many months and I was a new, unexpecting parent. This time was difficult and involved more of "getting through it" than savoring it. When we were expecting our second baby, I said to myself that I would savor it more. The precious tiny baby bodies grow so quickly that the memory of holding an infant that so readily falls asleep on your chest is fleeting. I decided that I would savor these times and embrace the little developmental advancements without the stress of the uncertainty of a new parent and the concurrent life changes that go along with it. Yet, I didn't realize that having two children makes it more difficult to savor any one thing. And, ironically of course, my son grew far quicker than my girl did and I missed it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment